Curiosity gets to Mars, the first images and data for the history
It was 5:31 GMT when it was first sign of Curiosity robot from Mars . After the now famous seven minutes of terror on the descent to Mars, the NASA managed to put a robot again in the mysterious planet. A historic mission that already has the first pictures and try to find out if there ever was life as we know it on Earth.
I am whole and safe in the surface of Mars. Gale crater, here I am.
This was the first message sent from NASA’s blog. More than 700 researchers embraced by what is already a landmark, possibly the most difficult task few have faced in travel to the mysterious planet due to the inherent characteristics of the robot. The first words of Charles Bronson, director of the agency, testified to this:
We are on Mars again, is amazing, a great day.
Then came the first image you opened. A shot from wide angle to which you have followed similar through the navigation cameras installed in Curiosity , a premier black and white image where we can see the shadow of their own robot on the planet in Gale Crater.
Data as mentioned are already part of history and which are to be joined to another set of numbers and impressive numbers:
- The red planet is 248 million kilometers from Earth.
- Each signal emitted by the robot from Mars takes 13.8 minutes to reach Earth at the speed of light (due mainly to the position of Mars and its orbit relative to Earth) ..
- In total, since it took off from Earth in November, the Curiosity has traveled 567 million kilometers.
- The data we receive from the robot are transmitted via satellite from NASA Odyssey and MRO support with Mars Express.
- The robot has landed near the crater Gale, a place from which to collect data to help the mission.
- The total cost of the mission is 2,500 million.
- The mission will last about two years time it will attempt to collect any data on the geological history of the crater 154 kilometers wide at the floor.
- Curiosity is up to three times heavier and twice larger than the vehicles used in space mission Mars Exploration Rover.
- It was launched by an Atlas V 541.
- Besides trying to find out if there was life on Earth, the mission will seek to characterize the planet’s climate, geology determine and prepare for possible human exploration.