How to shop safely online during the holidays
With the arrival of the Festivals unavoidable, we may be planning our last minute gifts. One of our top picks, sometimes, is to do our shopping via internet, using discounts that companies often have during the holiday season. As with all things we do on the web, we have to prioritize our safety, especially in transactions involving that we insert our credit card. With this in mind, we’ve compiled a list of some tips to shop safely online during the holidays.
- Antivirus day: it is important to maintain our good antivirus software up to date, as well as firewall and any other operating system upgrade is necessary. It is important that we have all these programs a day before we dive into the world of internet shopping.
- Secure online transactions: when we are sailing, it is imperative that when we enter our personal information we do through HTTPS or SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) to encrypt the information in the credit card that is sent over the internet. If we are about to buy and see that the page is not handled with SSL, then we must find an alternative.
- Use strong passwords: we have mentioned several times the importance of a strong password. We can choose a password generator to not have a key vulnerability that is likely to be discovered through various methods, such as social engineering. The best passwords contain numbers, letters and different characters, and are ideal for use in online sales services.
- Avoid email: avoid transactions via email in which we have to leave our personal data or, even worse, our credit card. This information should not be transmitted in this way, and in any case, the seller would have to provide us with a platform to access our data.
- Use your personal computer: if we do shopping through internet, do not have to do them through public computers, such as computers that share at work or even when visiting an Internet cafe or library. I really do not know which person is going to use after us, and our data can be traced through many methods.
- Reviewing transactions on credit cards: to keep well abreast of transactions we’re doing, we recommend visiting our way home banking followed to ensure that no extra charges have been made or false in our credit card.
- Buy through trusted brands: many companies and brands have online sales systems. If we try to use their official channels, you are assured of the brand and do not have too many risks. The same goes for resellers and shops: they are recognized. In any case, we can do a quick internet search to find out the reputation of sellers.
- Read all the details: read the details written in “fine print” in the agreements we access. Also important, in these cases, well known and have read the privacy agreement we signed with the site as we get an account. We can save a disappointment if we have a problem later.
- Always pay by credit card: Although debit cards can be used for online shopping, credit cards are more reliable and are more protected. In addition, some sites also offer us to finance installment purchase.
- Check the seller’s reputation: in case you are visiting resale sites, such as MercadoLibre in Latin America, before making a purchase we need to review all comments that have the seller to see if you have a successful reputation.
As always, the key is to be cautious. If we read carefully, we seek the price is best for us and above all take care of the security of our data, we should not have trouble buying safely this holiday season.Tags: security, shopping, SSL